doc

A FULL safety investigation has been launched following the suspected carbon monoxide poisoning of a man near Peebles at the weekend.

Michael Travers died at a holiday chalet on the outskirts of the town just before midnight on Saturday.

The 59-year-old's wife, Mary, remains in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

The couple's son, Scott, was released on Monday following treatment.

A council spokesperson said: “Scottish Borders Council is the enforcing authority for holiday home premises where they are let out for more than 20 weeks of the year and will be investigating this incident.”

Emergency services were called to Soonhope chalets at 11.45pm on Saturday night.

Mr Travers from Larkhall in Lanarkshire was pronounced dead at the scene while 60-year-old Mary and 31-year-old Scott were both rushed to hospital.

A spokeswoman for Police Scotland told us: "Police were called to an address in the Soonhope area of Peebles where three people had taken unwell.

"Inquiries into the full circumstances surrounding this are currently ongoing."