Edinburgh University 3

Selkirk 2

David Knox at Peffermill

SELKIRK’S relegation struggle is far from over as they offered up something new and something old on Saturday at Peffermill.

For the opening 45 minutes the Souters demonstrated the recent form shown under new manager Ian Fergus that has seen them edge away from the bottom.

But following the interval they slipped back to the bad old pre-Fergus days of bedraggled disorganisation.

After giving up a two-goal advantage the manager was understandably disappointed. He said: “We looked comfortable in the first half and I asked for the boys to keep it going but they couldn’t.

“We had a good chance to finish the game off at the start of the second half and we were still two up at 60 minutes.

“But we weren’t good and credit to the university as they played to their strengths.

“It was never going to be a smooth run of draws and wins like we’ve had – I knew there would be disappointments like today and it is important we regroup and come out better next week.”

The absence of influential duo Unpha Korona and Phil Addison through suspension was always going to make Selkirk’s task that bit more difficult.

But, with the type of football the Yarrow park faithful are beginning to enjoy, they stormed into an early lead against the Students.

Kerr Scott’s crossfield ball allowed Ryan Sclater to charge towards the byline and fire in a terrific low cross for Gary Nicholson to convert from eight yards out.

Sclater almost doubled the lead as he headed Fraser Neave’s corner round the wrong side of the post on the quarter hour.

Uni, with the wind at their backs, enjoyed plenty possession and forced half a dozen corners during a dominant 10-minute period.

But it was the visitors who continued to look the most dangerous on the break.

Nicholson’s low angled drive was blocked in front of goal on 27 minutes – and just 90 seconds later the former Penicuik striker ran onto Murray Christie’s ball over the top only for Craig McMillan to recover and shield the ball into the arms of Mark Tait.

Selkirk’s second came on 36 minutes with Nicholson holding off a couple of challenges to dart into the area and dink a neat cross to the back post for Jordan Hopkinson to nod home.

Uni, with the influential George Nikolaidis pulling the strings, had looked useful in the first half without forcing a save from Gregor Amos.

But that was to change after the interval.

Nicholson could have wrapped up the points on 49 minutes as he was through on goal only to shoot straight at Tait.

And from then on it was one-way traffic as the Students upped the tempo.

Scott McCrory-Irving fired a warning shot inches past the far post on 53 minutes.

And just after the hour they pulled a goal back as Jack Guthrie found enough room in the area to shoot into the far corner.

Only a terrific save from Amos prevented McCrory-Irving levelling 10 minutes later with Ricky Miller making a vital clearance from the rebound to deny Guthrie.

The equaliser arrived on 77 minutes as Nicholson’s inside pass to Ross King was intercepted and a through ball allowed Guthrie to squeeze another shot into the net.

The inevitable winner came three minutes later as Selkirk failed to clear a corner and Finn Daniels-Yeomans fired through a crowd of players to beat Amos.

Despite a late rally by Selkirk they failed to test Tait.

Manager Fergus added: “We did miss Unpha (Korona) and Phil (Addison), especially in that second half. They would have allowed us to stick to our game plan.”

Selkirk. G Amos, R Sclater, M Christie, J Harley, A Fleming, R Miller, R King, G Nicholson, K Scott, F Neave (M Collin 61) & J Hopkinson.