Hawick 17

Selkirk 28

Atholl Innes

at Mansfield Park

SELKIRK did local adversaries Gala a favour on Thursday night at Mansfield Park without the Maroons kicking a ball.

Hawick needed to win this final pool Booker Border League match by 18 points and with a bonus point to reach the final, but it was game over after only 20 minutes when Darren Clapperton opened the scoring with a try for Selkirk.

It was Selkirk who gained the bonus point with four tries and Hawick, albeit with several ‘regulars’ missing, were left with a play-off contest to follow.

On the night, the National League 1 team showed more aggression and enterprise as Hawick lost at home in the competition for the second time – the last against National League 2 Peebles.

Selkirk perhaps took nothing more except pride and points – but the Souters rattled the home side, who could face Edinburgh Accies to determine its Premiership status, with a stirring performance that epitomised quality in the ranks.

Waiting for the play-off was a point not lost by President John Thorburn.

Writing in the programme, he blasted the scenario whereby the National League continues while Hawick watch from the touchline.

“The end of the season has been very disjointed and frankly not acceptable,” he said.

“Despite raising our concerns at various meetings, there is no sign of change. We will waiting for our opponents and date to be confirmed by Scottish Rugby for the play-off which will decide our destiny.”

Not Selkirk’s blame, of course.

But it is crazy that weeks will elapse before the play-off and also the Border League final between Gala and Melrose.

On a cold night and in front of a sparse crowd, Clapperton’s try and Josh Welsh’s conversion were cancelled out by the first of Garry Douglas’ two scores and a Neil Renwick try in injury time.

A Trevor Adams try on the restart put Selkirk in the driving seat, and although Douglas touched down again, Ali Weir converting, further scores from Ciaran Whyte and Bonekele Siyothula and three Welsh conversions wrapped it up for the Souters.

Selkirk: J. Welsh; T. Adams, D. Clapperton, R. Nixon, F. Anderson; C. McColm, C. McEwan; B. Siyothula, J. Bett, C. Graur, P. Forrest, A. Renwick, M. Gordon, C. Whyte, J. Mackay.