Peebles 41

Preston lodge 36

Allan Beveridge

at The Gytes

Peebles duly gained the bonus point win they required to stay with at least a slim chance of gaining promotion in this good open running game played in good dry conditions at The Gytes last Saturday.

It wasn't until the sixth minute of injury time at the end of the game that Lodge closed the scoreline to seven points.

In total Peebles scored six tries - two from Murray Johnston, two from Conor Blyth and one each from Ryan Stewart and Andy Muir.

Once again goal kicker Greg Raeburn had a good afternoon to land four conversions and a penalty.

This was not at all a one sided affair and the visitors from East Lothian gave Peebles lots to think about, especially at kick offs.

Peebles scored first in the ninth minute when Callum Anderson made a good break from midfield to deliver a good pass to Murray Johnston in support for a simple sprint into the goal area.

Raeburn converted but Lodge were soon back on level terms when Walls put in one of his long kicks into the Peebles 22.

The visitors were awarded a penalty at the lineout and Walls took a quick tap and drove for the line.

There was a ruck on the Peebles line but tight head Chris Anderson forced his way over for the touch down.

Walls converted.

Peebles were fortunate not to go behind when only a forward pass out on the left wing prevented a try being scored.

In the 25th minute following a spell of Peebles pressure on the Preston line Peebles regained the lead.

Keiran Brown picked up from the base of a scrum to run right and feed Murray Johnston, who passed to Stevie Hamilton.

The ball bounced off Hamilton back into the hands of Johnstone who crossed for the try.

Raeburn missed the difficult conversion but he and his opposite number added a penalties to make the score 15-10,

A Callum Anderson break from a set piece on the right set up the next try for Blyth.

Anderson, who was having a very good game both in attack and in defence, gave a well timed pass to Blyth who scored near the posts.

Raeburn conversion made the interval score 22-10.

Immediately after the restart Lodge reduced the deficit when their open side wing forward took a good lineout catch inside the Peebles 22 to make an unstoppable run for the line.

Blyth scored the last Peebles try of the first half and also scored the first Peebles try of the second half.

Again Callum Anderson was instrumental as he neatly side stepped his opposite number before passing to Blyth who rounded the defence to score the all important bonus point try.

Raeburn converted to stretch the lead to 29-17.

Two Peebles forwards then got their names on the score sheet.

Ryan Stewart - a very able deputy for Ryan McConnel - scored after Callum Anderson and Blyth had combined to take play deep into the visitors 22.

But Lodge were not giving up and continued to run the ball well along their backs.

Walls put in a lovely cross kick and right wing Pallister took the kick well and scored the try to make it 36-22.

Andy Muir popped up on the wing to score Peebles final try of the afternoon before Preston hit back with a late try by left wing Penrose and that injury time penalty try.

A good afternoon's work by the whole Peebles backs and forwards.

The next league game in a crunch match at Kelso next Saturday.