Selkirk 8

Hawick Waverley 0

David Knox at Yarrow Park

SELKIRK'S pre-season preparations remained on track this week with a convincing victory to lift the Billy Pringle Memorial Cup.

The popular goalkeeper, who lost his battle with cancer back in 2001, had played for both Selkirk and Hawick Waverley as well as several other local clubs during a distinguished career between the posts.

And he would have appreciated the football on display from his hometown team on Wednesday evening as they fired eight past the Waverley.

Selkirk assistant manager David Bingham was full of praise for his players at the final whistle.

He said: "There was some excellent goals from our team tonight.

"It was an accomplished performance despite us being a very young team.

"Hawick are a good amateur team and it was important that we approached the game in a professional manner.

"The players are still getting to know each other and every game is important just now as we aim for the league kicking off on July 29."

Phil Addison side-footed Selkirk in front after only four minutes as he ran onto Daryl Healy's squared pass.

Healy was the provider again just a few minutes later as his cutback was clinically dispatched by former Scotland age-group star Sean McKirdy.

Waverley struggled to get out of their own half at times as a ruthless Selkirk pressed high on the pitch and took advantage of every mistake.

Only a fine save from Ally Willison prevented Addison making it three on 12 minutes.

But it wasn't long before the third arrived.

McKirdy raced onto Ciaren Chalmers' inch-perfect lob only to be upended by Willison.

The former Hearts and Hamilton midfielder, who has been hugely impressive in his first two matches for Selkirk, tucked away the penalty.

On 19 minutes Chalmers blasted inches over as the onslaught continued.

Taylor Hope did relieve the pressure briefly as he charged towards the Selkirk area but his powerful shot whistled a foot wide of the target.

Healy curled a 25 yard shot against the bar just before the half hour.

And it wasn't long before the former Whitehill Welfare player made it 4-0 with a close-range effort.

There was still time for the towering striker to make it five before half time as he ran onto McKirdy's pass to slot the ball beyond Willison.

Home manager Ian Fergus made six changes at half time.

But the one-way traffic continued with Gary Nicholson heading Dan Greig's long throw into the net for 6-0.

Waverley's best chance of the match fell to Taylor Hope on 75 minutes but he fired a few inches over Grant Goodfellow's bar.

Nicholson added a spectacular seventh after cutting inside on 80 minutes to curl the ball inside the far post.

Kerr Scott and Addison both forced good saves from the Waverley keeper before Lewis Turkington waded in with his first for his new club in injury time.

Billy's son Liam Pringle presented Selkirk with their first silverware of the season - on this performance it may not be their last.

Selkirk. G Amos (G Goodfellow 46), R Sclater (C McKenzie 46 (S Muhsin 70)), R Donaldson, A Fleming (L Turkington 46), D Greig (A Fleming 61), S Muhsin (K Mitchell 46), D Healy (P Addison 61), C Chalmers, J Hopkinson (G Nicholson 46), P Addison (K Scott 46) & S McKirdy.

Hawick Waverley. A Willison, C Dunne (C McCutcheon 65), J Inglis, D Hope (N McConnell 80), S Craig, J Easton (D Leckie 73), T Hope, C Hope (S Philbin 65), G Ford (J Yardley 65), E Gray & A Langford