Selkirk 4-3 Edinburgh University

By Callum Hodgson
at Yarrow Park

SELKIRK came from three goals down to claim maximum points in their final Lowland League game of the season on Wednesday night.

The Souters were left with a mountain to climb after Joe Boyle, Santeri Kuivalainen and David Maskrey all struck in the opening 28 minutes.

But a Daryl Healy hat-trick and Reece Donaldson header ensured the Yarrow Park side had the final say.

Boss Ian Fergus said: "We've got to give the players credit for coming back from 3-0 down, but I was very angry when that third goal went in.

"Once we pulled the goals back I thought there was only going to be one winner. But we didn't play anywhere near the level we did at the weekend [against BSC Glasgow] so that was a bit disappointing.

"However, finishing the season on 48 points is really good. It's a great achievement for the boys to finish fifth."

Edinburgh Uni opened the scoring with just three minutes on the clock. Rafa Calbacho burst down the left and picked out front man Boyle in the box who slotted home.

And just moments later things got worse for the Souters. Kuivalainen's shot from the edge of the area hit Ciaren Chalmers and found its way into the bottom corner.

The home side were struggling to get into the game and the Students capitalised again just before the half-hour mark with an excellent goal.

Maskrey made his way into the area, turned past Andrew Fleming and buried his strike past Gregor Amos.

But Selkirk made a dramatic comeback.

Healy headed in from a Josh Davidson cross after a great attacking move down the left hand side.

And three minutes later they reduced the deficit to one when Donaldson powered in from a Dale Baxter corner.

The visitors did come close to extending their lead but Ryan Sclater managed to scramble the ball clear before it fell to Spaniard Calbacho.

On the stroke of half time Fergus' side levelled. Sixteen-year-old Donaldson again supplied Healy who headed past Mark Tait.

Selkirk showed their quality in the second half.

And they should have taken the lead just six minutes after the break when Baxter looped a corner into the box.

However, Chalmers' shot was blocked on the line, Addison's rebound was expertly saved and Healy fired wide with the third attempt.

But the Souters did grab their deserved goal. Substitute Hopkinson was brought down in the area by Maskrey and the referee pointed to the spot.

Healy stepped up and completed his hat-trick.

Edinburgh University have keeper Tait to thank for keeping them in the game.

He pulled off some great saves to deny Healy and McKirdy.

Sclater also smashed the post with his free kick moments before the final whistle.

Selkirk: G Amos, R Sclater, R Donaldson (S McKirdy HT), A Fleming, L Turkington (D Fergus HT), J Davidson, D Healy, C Chalmers, P Addison (J Hopkinson 63), D Baxter, R King, Not used: C Fair, J Chambers.