Musselburgh 20

Selkirk 39

Ian Donaldson at Stoneyhill

SELKIRK'S speedy back line made sure the points were returning to Philiphaugh on Saturday.

Gareth Pritchard's early penalty was cancelled out by the boot of Aaron McColm.

Both sides were struggling to find their rhythm early on and another penalty on 10 minutes by Pritchard put ‘Burgh ahead once more.

But the opening try soon followed, initiated by a fine break by scrumhalf Callum McEwan who fed Ewan MacDougall to go in at the posts. McColm converted for Selkirk to lead 6-10.

The home team fought back well to put the Selkirk defence under real pressure for the first time in the match and started to concede penalties, one of which resulted in ‘Burgh’s first try in the 23rd minute.

A line-out in the corner led to Davie Paton comes going over from the ruck.

A mere two minutes later swift handling by Selkirk released winger Josh Welsh who scored in the corner.

The two Callums, McEwan and McColm at halfback for Selkirk, were now having a considerable influence on the game, releasing their backs with clever handling.

Then from deep in his own half Aaron McColm had a great solo run only thwarted by a desperate tap tackle a few yards from ‘Burgh’s line. Selkirk then replaced Donald Nichol with Sean Nixon, before hitting ‘Burgh with two killer tries in the 37th and 39th minutes, the first by Ross Nixon, who scored under the posts, after a move was initiated by an outrageous dummy by Callum McColm.

And the second by Josh Welsh, his second of the day, following a big break by MacDougall.

Both tries were converted by Aaron McColm, stretching Selkirk’s lead to 16 points at the break.

The bonus point and the interval lead appeared to give the visitors more license to throw the ball around, which they duly did, the entire back division benefitting from McColm and McEwan at half back as well as skillful hands from their back row of McDougall, Robertson and Nixon.

On 52 minutes, another break away from deep by Aaron McColm produced a solo try which was unconverted for a lead of 13-34.

A mere seven minutes on from their last try, Selkirk poured salt into ‘Burgh’s already gaping wounds with their sixth try of the day, another breakaway, long range try this time by fullback Steven Hamilton to score a remarkable try in the bottom corner. The try was unconverted for 13-39 on 59 minutes.

Musselburgh to their credit continued to press the visitors, forcing a series of penalties and close in line-outs before Luke Hutson forced himself over from close range on 63 minutes.