Dundee 29

Selkirk 32

SELKIRK supporters experienced elation, trepidation and ultimately relief on Saturday at Mayfield - and that was just in the final five minutes.

In a dramatic conclusion to the match, Dundee turned down a simple last-minute penalty for the draw - and fumbled the attempted drive for the line to gift the Souters the victory.

This was a nip-and-tuck game from the off with the lead regularly being swapped.

Dundee took went in front after 10 minutes with Danny McGinn making the yards before Neil Turnbull barged over the line.

Fraser McKay added the conversion.

Selkirk fought back with a period of sustained pressure.

But they were hit with a counter punch as Fraser McKay intercepted on his own 22 to race under the posts.

His conversion made it 14-0 for Dundee.

Selkirk finally reduced the lead with Peter Forrest diving over for a try and Rory Banks adding the extras.

The visitors continued to press with some impressive handling to open gaps in the home defence.

Aaron McColm nipped in for a second try just after the half hour.

And just two minutes later Scott Hendrie showed good pace to cross the Dundee line again and give Selkirk a 17-14 lead.

The home team regained their lead just before the break as Paddy Hamilton rounded off a rare attack into the Selkirk half.

Selkirk continued to stretch Dundee after half time.

They were rewarded with a penalty, which Banks fired over.

But Dundee yet again went in front and after some impressive forwards drives allowing Ally Mackie to barge over for the try.

Fraser's conversion made it 26-20 to Dundee.

A Fraser drop goal looked to have give Dundee the cushion they needed.

But entering the final 10 minutes the hosts were reduced to 14 as Hamilton was yellow carded during sustained Selkirk pressure.

Clinton Wagman rounded off a good move to bring Selkirk within four points.

And the free-running backs yet again opened up Dundee just three minutes later as Fraser Anderson darted in to score another try.

The Banks conversion gave Selkirk a 32-29 advantage with a couple of minutes remaining.

In stoppage time Selkirk encroached offside and a penalty was awarded to Dundee in front of the posts.

Rather than take the draw Dundee opted for a scrum - and ultimately knocked on for the final whistle to be sounded.