AN Investigation has been launched after emergency services were called to a Borders village on Monday morning after a school bus went on fire.

Pupils from West Linton on their way to Peebles High were all evacuated from the morning bus without injury at around 8.15am.

Parts of the A701 near West Linton were closed off to traffic. Traffic was diverted via Macbiehill and Bogsbank road while the emergency services were in attendance.

An eyewitness told us: “It all happened so quick. The bus was stopping to pick up the kids when smoke started coming out from the back of the bus.

"All of the kids were removed from the bus safely and were taken across to other side of road. 

“Shortly after the bus became more smokey and then caught fire.”

A Scottish Borders Council spokesperson said: “An incident at 8.15am on Station Road south of West Linton saw the P15 school bus travelling from the village to Peebles High School catch fire.

“All 31 pupils on board safely evacuated the bus before it caught fire, with all students and driver unharmed. A senior staff member also attended the scene to ensure pupils were safe.

“Some of the pupils arrived at school later in the morning, while others decided to return home, with the school contacting all parents and guardians of affected students.

“The Council will investigate this incident.”

A Police Scotland spokeswoman told us: “Police in the Borders were called following a report of a bus fire on Station Road, near to West Linton.

“The bus was evacuated and all passengers were safely accounted for.

“The road was closed for a short time and later reopened. The public was thanked for their patience during this period.”

A spokesperson from the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was alerted on Monday, 14 November to reports of a bus on fire at Station Road, West Linton. 

“Edinburgh Operations Control was notified at 8.15am and immediately deployed two fire engines to the scene. There were no casualties reported.

“Firefighters in breathing apparatus used one hose reel jet to extinguish the fire. Crews left the scene at 9am after ensuring the area was made safe.”