A TRADITION which dates back more than 350 years is about to be honoured later this month (May 25) as the Queen's Bodyguard arrives in Selkirk.

The Royal Company of Archers have been competing for the Selkirk Silver Arrow since 1660.

Although the ten-inch trophy was lost for more than a century, before being rediscovered by Sir Walter Scott in 1818, the Edinburgh-based Archers resumed the tradition of shooting for the arrow in Selkirk every six years.

And next weekend's ceremonial competition will be the 32nd occasion the arrow has been shot for.

The Silver Arrow is normally on display during the summer months at Halliwell House Museum in the town, but will be removed on the weekend of the shoot.

Scottish Borders Council officially invite the Archers to the Royal Burgh every six years.

And they will be entertained by Council convenor David Parker at a lunch in the Victoria Hall ahead of the shoot.

The march to the Haining will commence at around 2.30pm.

A spokeswoman for the local authority said: "The archers, in their full uniform – including the impressive eagle feather in the bonnet - and members of the council will march to The Haining behind two traditional Halberdiers and the Selkirk Silver Band.

"Shooting will continue until around 5.30pm when the Silver Arrow will be presented to the winner."

The competitors will use similar longbows to those who first shot for the Silver Arrow in the 17th century, and will also shoot over the same 180 yards.

Following the competition, the Royal Company will then be entertained as guests at the traditional dinner at Bowhill by the Duke and Duchess of Buccleuch.