GALA Fairydean Rovers have succeeded in their appeal against Danny Galbraith’s recent red card.

The skipper was dismissed during Tuesday’s Lowland League game against Spartans following a coming together with John Grant.

The referee stated Galbraith had tried to strike out at his opponent.

But now Gala have learned their appeal to the Scottish Football Association was successful, meaning the red card has been rescinded and Galbraith’s two-game ban overturned.

Gala’s match secretary Robert Fairburn said: "We are pleased with the outcome from the SFA's Fast Track Claim Tribunal who upheld our appeal regarding captain Danny Galbraith's red card against Spartans on Tuesday, October 27.

"We felt at the time it was a harsh decision and this has been vindicated by the tribunal who ruled no offence was committed.”

Gala benefited from a stroke of luck, with ITV Border filming the entire game at Netherdale and therefore capturing the incident on camera.

The club used the footage as part of their successful appeal, with Mr Fairburn saying that Gala are “investigating on how to film all future games” to help with controversial moments.

"We are grateful to Stuart Cameron from ITV Border for providing the video evidence which the club relied on for the appeal,” said Mr Fairburn.

"The decision means Danny will be available to play in our next game away to Cumbernauld Colts on Saturday, November 7."

Galbraith’s dismissal didn’t have a major impact on Tuesday’s game, with Gala running out 3-1 winners. One of the goals came when they were down to 10 men.

The Incident

The sending off came with over 20 minutes to go, when the game was finely balanced at 2-1.

Galbraith received the ball in the middle of the park, smartly turning to free himself of Spartans’ number two John Grant.

Grant knew he had been beaten and grabbed hold of the Gala skipper, preventing him from advancing further.

Gala’s number 10 struggled to free himself and as the players tussled they fell to the ground.

The referee, who was right on the spot, deemed that Galbraith had tried to hit out at his opponent in frustration after being cynically fouled, giving the skipper his marching orders.

After the game, the Border Telegraph spoke to Galbraith about the decision.

Galbraith said: “It was never a red card. I’m breaking [away], their player’s got me round the neck, I’m trying to push him off to get away from him.

"Next minute I’m trying to take a free kick and the referee has said I tried to punch him.

“I’m a bit lost for words to be honest. I’ve never been sent off in my life. I’m certainly not a violent player and it’s just incredible really how that can end up in a red card.

“I just can’t understand it.”