A BORDERS man who sent threatening messages to his wife and her new partner has been ordered to stay away from her for the next 12 months.

Crawford Hull, 33, has also been placed on a night-time home curfew at a Galashiels address between the hours of 8pm and 6pm for six months.

Selkirk Sheriff Court was told that Hull had been in a relationship with the woman for four years and they married in April 2019 but separated a year later.

Fraser Matheson, prosecuting, said: "There were ongoing communications between the couple but in late November and early December she commenced a relationship with another man.

"This was something that came to be known by Mr Hull and it is fair to say that he struggled with that."

READ MORE: Heroin offences: Borders man sentenced after admitting pair of drugs crimes

The court heard that on December 4 Hull sent inappropriate messages to the woman, with one reading: "I am either going to kill you, him or both, preferably the first."

Another message said the new partner "was a dead man walking", with Hull adding that if he saw the couple in Selkirk they had better be prepared.

A subsequent message stated: "I hope I see him late at night because he is getting his face panned in."

The court heard that the messages came to an end when the woman said she would refer the matter to the police.

But Hull called her an offensive name in another message and she blocked his messages and reported the matter to the police.

READ MORE: Drink-driving: Borders woman was four times the legal alcohol limit, court hears

Hull pleaded guilty to a breach of the Communications Act 2003.

Defence lawyer Mat Patrick said his client was still married to the woman.

He had sent the messages because he claimed the situation was unfair to him and the new partner.

Mr Patrick continued: "He is not someone used to behaving in this way.

"These were empty threats and he had no interest in carrying them out."

The court was told that the relationship was now over and the woman had wanted a non-harassment order but could not afford to go through the legal channels previously.

Sheriff Kenneth Campbell imposed a non-harassment order preventing Hull from contacting his wife for the next 12 months as well as a night-time home curfew.