A Zander Murray double helped Gala Fairydean Rovers secure a memorable victory over high-flying Rangers B in front of a packed refurbished Netherdale stand on Saturday.

Fans turned out in numbers to witness the reopening of the iconic structure which has been closed for four years and due to safety concerns.

The world renowned stand was formally opened by a ribbon cutting ceremony on the pitch ahead of kick off by chairman of the GFR Community Trust Ross Buchan who led the project.

He was accompanied by current club chairman Ryan Cass and former Hibs, Celtic and Scotland international John Collins who grew up in the town.

And the large crowd witnessed a cracker.

Border Telegraph: Great save from Ryan GoodfellowGreat save from Ryan Goodfellow (Image: Thomas Brown)

Rangers arrived on the back of a 3-2 away victory over Napoli and their youngsters soon demonstrated why they top the Lowland League, but the Gala players didn’t sit back to admire their opponents.

Both sides created chances and had the first half could have ended 3-3 but some outstanding goalkeeping from Gala’s Ryan Goodfellow and Rangers keeper Kevin Budinauckas kept the score down.

The only goal in that first 45-minutes came from Rangers Connor Young.

Both teams started the second-half where they left off and Murray quickly equalised after finding space in the box.

Border Telegraph:

Moments later the striker went down with an injury but returned after treatment to score the winner.

The Rangers keeper was yellow carded for catching the ball outside the area and Murray’s initial free-kick rebounded off the wall. But his exquisite strike with the outside of his left foot caught the keeper out and the ball nestled in the bottom corner of the net.

That was his last action of the afternoon and he was forced to leave the field after failing to recover from his injury.

Both teams continued to attack but Rovers held on for the victory.

A full match report with reactions will be in this week’s Border Telegraph.