A MOTORIST has admitted careless driving on the Melrose by-pass which resulted in a female cyclist being injured.

Sixty-five-year-old Ian McLeod, from Lauder, pleaded guilty to failing to give way at a roundabout and striking a cyclist causing her to fall to the ground to her injury on December 4.

Selkirk Sheriff Court was told she suffered a badly bruised elbow and a cut which required six stitches and also bruising to her left leg and left eye.

Prosecutor Fiona Hamilton said the incident happened at around 12.50pm when the conditions were described as visually good with the weather cold and wet.

She continued: “The cyclist was travelling eastbound towards the Melrose roundabout and took up the position of going round the roundabout.

“The accused approached in a vehicle and did not slow down or stop to give way and caused the bicycle to collide with the offside of his vehicle and caused the cyclist to fall to the ground.”

READ MORE: Police appeal for witnesses after graffiti painted on train at Tweedbank Station

Ms Hamilton said witnesses stopped to attend to the woman while McLeod attended at Hawick Police Station and said he thought he had hit a deer.

The fiscal described the injuries sustained by the cyclist adding: “The cyclist suffered no fractures thankfully. He made no reply to being cautioned and charged.”

Defence lawyer Ross Dow said his client did not realise at the time there had been an accident saying: “He did not see her, otherwise he would have stopped.”

He explained he had held a driving licence for 46 years which was clean.

Mr Dow said McLeod had been concentrating on the vehicle in front as it had suddenly pulled in and did not see the cyclist.

Sheriff Peter Anderson said he was satisfied McLeod was a safe and careful driver and noted his previous driving record.

But he urged the accused to take caution as he was getting older as he should have seen the cyclist on this occasion.

He fined Mcleod £300 with a £20 victim surcharge and placed three penalty points on his licence which would have been five if it were not for the guilty plea.