A GALASHIELS man was involved in a disturbance with his new in-laws just hours after his wedding, Selkirk Sheriff Court has been told.

James Fox, 28, turned up at a house in Galashiels, to confront his wife’s mother and step-father after a scuffle had taken place at the wedding.

He was in possession of an offensive weapon, namely a claw hammer, when he left his home in Kilnknowe Place but “came to his sense” and disposed of it before reaching the in-laws’ home where he admitted threatening or abusive behaviour by acting in an aggressive manner and kicking a door.

Prosecutor Drew Long described the events during the early hours of August 20 shortly after Fox had been at his own wedding.

He said Fox turned up at the address topless and was kicking the front door of the house aggressively.

He continued: “One of the residents of the house had to hold the door handle to stop him getting entry.

“Some people came outside of the property to try and get rid of him but went back into the house and called the police.

READ MORE: Former fire-hit Borders factory set to be flattened to make way for a car park

“Police attended at around 1am and and the accused had his shirt off and was shouting at the property.”

He admitted to police the claw hammer was his and he “was going to use it on one of the residents in the house”.

Mr Long said Fox was ultimately cautioned and charged.

Defence lawyer Mat Patrick said it had been his client’s own wedding a few hours earlier.

He explained: “Too much drink had been taken and there was bad feeling between himself and his new wife’s parents which came to a head.

“There was a minor scuffle fuelled by alcohol outside the reception and he went home with his wife. He reacted when he found messages on his phone from his wife’s step-father.”

Fox had been armed with a claw hammer when he went on his way to the in-laws’ home but before he reached the property he gave it to a person and did not have it with him during the disturbance.

Mr Patrick added: “He was heavily intoxicated and emotional and is thoroughly ashamed at how this turned out.”

Fox was ordered to carry out 60 hours of unpaid work as an alternative to a fine.