THE revitalisation of one of Scotland’s oldest pub sites in Tweedsmuir is set to move forward.

The old Crook Inn was once a popular halfway stopping-off point on the route between the south of Scotland and the capital.

The watering hole closed in 2006 after more than 400 years of continuous operation.

It was first licensed in 1604 and ran for more than four centuries before its closure.

A community campaign to bring it back into use has seen an old dilapidated steading building turned into a café.

The Wee Crook opened to the general public for the first time last summer.

Now Tweedsmuir Community Company has submitted a new planning application to Scottish Borders Council to build four timber glamping pods, a toilet block and store to the west of the café.

The bid is seen as vital to the continued redevelopment and sustainability of the site.

A submission with the application says: “The applicants ask that officers give consideration to the fact that the proposed pods are an important part of the future sustainability of the Wee Crook Café, which together with the planned bunkhouse will allow the facility to run on a full-time basis and contribute to the community council’s ambition for a leisure and recreation-focussed destination at the former Crook Inn site.

“Together these projects form an important facility in the Destination Tweed project and will contribute to the economic case for the rejuvenation of the site, which Scottish Borders Council has played a critical role in supporting to date.”