THE South scored six tries on the way to being crowned Inter-District Championship winners with a 100 per cent record.

The Borderers followed up victories over Edinburgh and Glasgow by beating Caledonia Reds 36-18 in Inverness on Saturday in the contest’s final round.

They also lifted the Nairn MacEwan Cup – named after the former Gala player – which was contested between the regions for the first time.

The South head coach Matty Douglas said he was delighted with his team and could not fault the commitment of his players and coaches.

“This has been a hugely competitive and enjoyable championship, and we are delighted to have come through it with three wins against really good and committed teams,” he said. “All of us understand that games have come down to little more than the bounce of a rugby ball at times.

“All four teams have been loaded with quality rugby players and I think that the play that we have seen really points the signpost towards getting the best of the four teams together to represent the Scotland Club XV sooner rather than later.”

He added: “We have dug in when the going got tough and our bench has shown a fantastic attitude, coming in to get us over the line each week.

“My players have delivered in really key moments in the three games and that might be the decisive factor that sealed our success. I am very proud to have led this group of men..”

Fraser Renwick opened the scoring for the South early on, with Kirk Ford adding the extras from out wide.

Minutes later Callum Anderson notched a solo try and Ford was again on hand to take the Borderers’ lead to 14.

Callum Beckett’s penalty put the first points on the board for the hosts, who had earlier had a Magnus Henry try ruled out for a forward pass.

Keith Melbourne grabbed the South’s third try, leaving Ford with an easy kick to make it three from three.

The Reds refused to lie down and Beckett touched down for a try but was unable to convert.

The spectators did not have to wait long for another try, this time from the South as Anderson helped himself to his brace. Ford was unsuccessful with his conversion attempt.

Beckett was back for more for the hosts and capped an impressive first-half display with his second try to make it 13-26.

Russell Anderson scored the first try of the second period following a lineout.

Again, the Reds hit back, this time through Malachy Keough.

But the South had the final say, Calum Renwick crossing the whitewash to seal the championship title.