PLANS have been unveiled to turn Castle Venlaw Hotel into apartments.

The luxury hotel on the outskirts of Peebles had been running at a loss for several years.

And owners Roy and Lorna Curry, who bought the 12-bedroom hotel just over six years ago, decided to close at the end of December.

Despite being on the market for more than two years they've had no firm offers.

And they have now decided to turn the 230-year-old Gothic mansion into flats.

A spokesman for the couple stated: "Roy and Lorna, who have over 30 years’ experience of working in the licensed trade, purchased the hotel with the aim of turning it into a profitable trading entity.

"Despite their best efforts to turn the business around it has been reporting losses in all financial years since it was acquired.

"The hotel continues to be held for sale with no offers on the table."

Venlaw Castle was built in 183 by the then Sheriff Deputy of Peebles, Alexander Stevenson.

It passed through several owners before being acquired Major Archibald Erskine.

A further storey was added to the original house in 1885 as well a baronial wing seven years later.

During World War I, Venlaw housed up to 30 naval officers and was also used as an auxiliary Red Cross Hospital.

The property passed through more owners before being opened as a hotel in 1949 by Alexander Cumming and Jean Brownlee.

It changed hands again in 1997 when John and Shirley Sloggie took over for a decade before selling to PAG Hotels Limited in 2007.

The spokesman added: "The hotel has failed to operate as a profitable commercial enterprise for the past six years having been bought out of administration by the present owners in November 2011.

"Attempts to market the hotel as a going concern since July 2015 have proved unsuccessful.

"As the owners are unable to sustain further losses the continued use of the property as a hotel is no longer an option and an

alternative use needs to be found for it.

"The proposal to alter, extend and convert the hotel to form 11 apartments represents an appropriate use for the building restoring it to its original residential use and by doing so increasing the choice and range of accommodation available in the area.

"The alterations required to facilitate that change of use can be undertaken in a manner which not only preserves but also enhances the character and appearance of the building as one of special architectural character and appearance."

The full application for change of use and alterations, which has been submitted with Scottish Borders Council, highlights the need for a flat-roofed extension to be demolished and a new extension added to the northern of the building.

Scottish Borders Council's planning department will consider the application over the coming months.