Melrose 49

Selkirk 0

Atholl Innes at The Greenyards

MELROSE showed the professionalism and clinical finishing which has made the top team in the Scottish domestic game this season.

Selkirk have the flare players to trouble any team, but on Saturday at the Greenyards the visitors hardly had a sniff at the line.

It was the home team who showed the skill and pace to run in nine tries and Selkirk were saved from a larger defeat as Melrose managed only two conversions.

Rob Chrystie took the opportunity to field fringe players such as Calum Crookshank, Rory Darge, Struan Hutchison and Thomas Klein to taste first XV rugby while normal full back Fraser Thomson was water-carrier for the day.

Coach Robert Chrystie praised Selkirk for their determination and guts.

He said: “Selkirk are fully committed and we knew what they would bring to the game.

“We wanted to make sure boys get the opportunity to come into the team and to push on. I was really pleased with that (performance).

"I think that some of the things we were working on came through.

“It is good for rugby and for the area to have these games (Border League and Waverley Cup against Gala).”

An overlap inside the opening ten minutes, following sustained pressure, allowed George Taylor to run in for the opening try.

Craig Jackson added the extras.

The second try came from a Selkirk mistake and Jason Baggott took full advantage of the loose pass to race behind the posts.

Former Selkirk player Nyle Godsmark powered through three tackles before offloading to Ross McCann for a third try approaching the half hour.

And there was still time for Gavin Wood to dive over in the near corner to leave the score 24-0 at the interval.

Selkirk did attempt to play their way through Melrose but they were up against a well-drilled defence.

It wasn't long until Rose added to their tally with Thomas Klein finishing well in the corner.

Gavin Wood made it 34-0 as he barged his way across the line.

Taylor scored his second of the afternoon just after the hour with a burst from 30 yards out.

Russell Anderson, despite having two tacklers hanging from him, reached the line for his team's eighth score of the afternoon.

In the dying minutes Struan Hutchison completed the scoring following a five metre scrum.

Melrose now have to play Kelso, who would need to win with a bonus point and deny their opponents anything to stop Melrose reaching the final.

Hawick and Jed-Forest meet this week for the other place in the final, scheduled to take place at Langholm.

Melrose: C. Jackson; G. Wood, N. Godsmark, G. Taylor, R. McCann; J. Baggott, B. Colvine; C. Crookshank, R. Ferguson, R. McLeod, A. Runciman, A. Grieve, R. Darge, G. Runciman, I. Moody. Replacements: G. Shiells, R. Anderson, R. Campbell, S. Hutchison, T. Klein.

Selkirk: S. Hamilton; F. Anderson, J. Welsh, R. Nixon, G. Ross; R. Banks, C. McEwan; L. Pettie, J. Bett, D. Anderson, A. Renwick, P. Forrest, M. Gordon, M. Robertson, D. Nichol. Replacements: B. Riddell, N. Hall, M. Aziz, C. MacDougall, D. Clapperton.