Selkirk 5-0 Hawick Royal Albert

By Callum Hodgson
at Yarrow Park

SELKIRK secured their second Borders derby win in as many weeks at Yarrow Park on Saturday.

Fresh from last week’s last-minute victory at Netherdale, the Souters made easy work of Hawick Royal Albert, thanks to goals from Daryl Healy, Sean McKirdy, Ciaren Chalmers and a brace from Calum Helm.

And Selkirk assistant manager David Bingham was delighted with the result.

He said: “We started the game really brightly, but I thought we were a bit sloppy after the first goal and but for Gregor (Amos) and Hawick missing a good chance it could have been different.

“Having that second goal was really important as it gives you a bit of breathing space and getting the third as the start of the second half helped us to relax a bit.

“Once the game is won, you just have to make sure you don’t lose a sloppy goal, so keeping a clean sheet was great for Gregor and the back four.

“Slowly but surely we’re getting everyone back fit. We only really had Andrew Fleming missing who will be out for a bit. 

“It looks like we will have a free week next week, so it’s good to go into that off the back of two good results.”

Selkirk took the lead on 12 minutes when a Murray Christie corner was palmed into the path of Healy by keeper Craig Saunders.

The striker made no mistake and grabbed his eighth league goal of the season.

The visitors did have a chance to get an equaliser shortly after. David Grant shot narrowly wide from a free kick.

But they were made to pay when Christie slid the ball through to McKirdy, who finished coolly into the bottom corner.

And Selkirk could have been 3-0 up if it wasn’t for Saunders who made a great reaction save to deny Healy.

However, Hawick were still in the game and had a few golden chances before the break.

The first saw Curtis Rose head an Ali Simpson cross wide.

But the best came when Ludovic Erhard dispossessed Ricky Miller and threaded through to Rose who should have scored.

Samad Akinpelu was also denied by Gregor Amos from close range moments later.

But it was to be the home side’s day and they made light work of the visitors who made the 12-mile trip along the A7 during the second 45.

Just two minutes after the interval, Dale Baxter dinked a ball over to Helm who slotted into the bottom left.

And 13 minutes later it was four, when Chalmers nodded in a Baxter corner.

Bingham’s side continued to knock, and eventually got their deserved fifth in the 77th minute.

Miller’s ball into the box wasn’t dealt with by the Hawick back line, leaving Helm to take advantage and turn it into the net.

In the dying moments Ryan Sclater also got into the action, but he saw his free kick tipped over the bar.

Selkirk: G Amos, R Sclater, R Donaldson, R Miller, M Christie, D Healy (J Hopkinson 63), C Chalmers, D Banjo (G Hunter 63), C Helm, D Baxter (J Keenan 73), S McKirdy. Subs not used: P Addison, R King.

Hawick RA: C Saunders, A Simpson, S Spence, J Tully (S Reynolds 63), E Savickas, J Clark (A Reynolds 20), D Birrell, D Grant, S Akinpelu, L Erhard, C Rose (M Johnston 63). Subs not used: R Jeffrey.