SELKIRK have revitalised the Kings of the Sevens tournament at a time when there have been calls for a new format.

Too many games in close proximity and understrength sides have devalued ties, but an all-Borders final, in which Selkirk defeated Melrose 12-7, gave the sevens season a boost.

Although Selkirk will not win the Kings title this season, their success in their own tournament on Saturday at Philiphaugh has ensured that the title will go down to the wire next weekend at Jed-Forest.

Watsonians, the current Kings holders and winners of five tournaments so far this season, lead the table on 68 points with Melrose on 61.

But on Saturday, Selkirk clinched their own cup for the first time since 2013 on a gloriously sunny afternoon.

It will be argued that Watsonians and Melrose, the pretenders for the title, faced the toughest ties, but that was not to underestimate a stirring performance by the Souters.

“That was just what the sevens circuit needed,” said Selkirk coach Michael Jaffray. “It has been a long season with 15-a-side games played in the middle of the sevens season, and we have not had as strong a squad as we would have wanted.

“The boys really performed well and got better as the games went on. It was just what the sevens circuit needed, a different team winning, and it is good for the game all round.

“It also has been good for the town. We had great weather, a big crowd, and a victory. It was a great final and great for the sevens and I am really chuffed.”

Melrose, who had beaten Watsonians in the semi-final, fell behind to a Darren Clapperton try with Aaron McColm converting. Craig Jackson levelled with a try and conversion before Clinton Wagman broke the deadlock with the winning try.

The hosts defeated Peebles, Kelso and Edinburgh Accies comfortably while Melrose beat Hamilton, the Powerbombs and Watsonians on their way to the final.

In the first of the semi-finalists, an early try by Clapperton put Selkirk in the driving seat and further scores from Wagman, McColm, Craig McDougall and Josh Welsh ended the Edinburgh Accies challenge.

Melrose squeezed out Watsonians 15-10 in a tough contest. Two scores from Charlie McKill to a try by Ross McCann saw Watsonians take a 10-5 interval lead.

Jackson was sent to the sin-bin, but tries from Struan Hutchison and Jason Baggott gave the Borderers victory.

In an unprecedented move, Boroughmuir were disqualified for fielding rolling substitutes in their opening win over Hawick, who were reinstated and went on to lose to Edinburgh Accies.

Results: First round: Gala 17, Edinburgh Accies 19; Hawick 12, Boroughmuir 36 (Boroughmuir disqualified); Kelso 47, Stewart’s

Melville FP 0; Peebles 7, Selkirk 31; Powerbombs 47, Langholm 14; Berwick 0, GHA 24; Jed-Forest 14, Watsonians 19 (after extra time). Second round: Edinburgh Accies 19, Hawick 15; Kelso 14, Selkirk 31; Melrose 47, Powerbombs 0; GHA 5, Watsonians 33. Semi-finals: Edinburgh Accies 19, Selkirk 39; Melrose 15, Watsonians 10. Final: Selkirk 12, Melrose 7.

Selkirk: C. Whyte, C. McDougall, J. Welsh, D. Clapperton, R. Nixon, S. Hamilton, C. Wagman, F. Anderson, A. McColm, R. Hamilton.

Melrose: G. Taylor, J. Baggott, C. Jackson, R. McCann, G. Wood, B. Colvine, L. Reid, A. Hall, S. Hutchison, M. Klein.