STOW midfielder Bruce Runciman hopes his side’s emphatic Waddell Cup victory can kickstart their season.

Stow defeated Biggar United 7-0 to make round two, with Jordan Steele scoring two.

The Villagers have struggled this season and sit second bottom of Division A but have showed signs in recent weeks of a recovery under manager Kenny Donaldson.

Runciman said: “We dominant the game and it will give us some real confidence for the rest of the season.

“The squad is coming together and we have players coming back from injury. We need to carry the momentum from this win into the league campaign.”

Hawick Waverley were equally impressive as they hammered Tweeddale Rovers 8-1 in Peebles.

Seven different scorers found the net, alongside an own goal, for Waverley who scored six unanswered goals in the second half.

Jack Hay notched a double hat-trick in Newtown’s 9-3 thrashing of neighbours St Boswells, while Dougie Brydon and Dean Carruthers scored to help Greenlaw beat Chirnside in the Berwickshire derby.

A Waddell Cup shocked looked on the cards as Division C Ancrum went 2-0 up against Hawick United, but the Division A team fought back to win 3-2, with Sean Clarke’s double proving vital.

The same scenario faced Tweedmouth Amateurs as they trailed Selkirk Victoria of Division C 2-0 at half time thanks to goals from Scott Learmond and Lee Stephen.

But the Division B leaders fought back to also win 3-2 as Graham Fairbairn, Aidan Lauder and Aaron Hope found the net.

Gala Hotspur’s struggles continued as they lost for the second time in two weeks to visitors Gordon.

Kai Robertson and Craig Livingstone scored for the away side.

In Division B, Lauder continue to battle on despite having to start a number of games this season without 11 players, and put in a brave performance in their 6-2 loss to high flying Langlee Amateurs.

Des Sutherland scored two but he was outscored by Liam Wallace who grabbed a hat-trick to move a point behind Tweedmouth.

Managerless Leithen Rovers defeated out of form Hawick Legion 3-2 in the other Division B game.

And Gala Fairydean Rovers’ Division C game against Kelso Amateurs was abandoned after Gala’s Emil Makowski broke his collarbone.