Peebles 29

Whitecraigs 19

Allan Beveridge

at The Gytes

A TRY-bonus point victory over a large and competitive Whitecraigs was just what the doctor ordered on Saturday ahead of this week's derby.

The visitors had already given unbeaten Biggar a fright this season when they missed a last-minute penalty to end the leader's winning run.

And everyone at The Gytes knew to expect a tough encounter.

Peebles began well, though, and they were 7-0 up in the second minute of the match.

Scott Stoddart took a pass from Lewis Mclennan inside the visitors' 22 to burst through a gap and score between the posts.

Donald Anderson converted.

But almost immediately Whitecraigs hit back with a Sam Adair penalty.

It was clear from the start that the Glasgow side were going to use their considerable weight to their advantage and break down the home defence.

And it would often take two or three defenders to take down some of their bigger players - especially Ross McDonald who must weigh in at more than 20 stones.

Peebles, though, continued to impress with their running and it took some scrambled defence to prevent Stoddart and Jack Harrison's interplay turning into points.

The home side did increase their lead just after the half hour with Neil Hogarth accepting Richard Harrison's quick throw-in to run some 50 metres to score.

But straight from the restart Hogarth was penalised for crossing and Adair reduced the deficit to 12-6.

Peebles chalked up their third try just before half time with Douglas Voas intercepting on the half way line to sprint clear and score.

Donald Anderson made it 19-6 with the conversion.

But there was still time for Adair to add another penalty for Whitecraigs before the break.

The gap was reduced to 19-12 early in the second half through another Whitecraigs penalty.

Peebles should have collected their try bonus point eight minutes later when Lewis Mclennan's grubber kick was reached first by Stoddart but his attempted dribble over the line saw the ball go dead.

Kenny Clyde, who had impressed since coming off the bench, set up another attack but the ball was knocked forward close to the line during a ruck.

Inside the final quarter Peebles were awarded a penalty after Stuart Hunter was stopped illegally.

Donald Anderson elected to kick for the corner. And as Kenneth Clyde and Murray Brown took the ball towards the Whitecraigs line it was lost in contact and cleared.

The important fourth try eventually arrived with around 10 minutes remaining.

Jack Harrison's initial dance through the defence allowed David Collins to round his marker on the wing and score the try.

Donald Anderson's conversion made it 26-12.

Whitecraigs took themselves to within one score just five minutes later as Richie Cunningham completed a good move for the try, which was converted by Adair.

The home supporters' nerves were calmed in the final minute as Donald Anderson kicked another penalty.

It was a good win against probably the biggest pack in the league - and sets up the Pees for a crack at the unbeaten Biggar.

Kick off at Hartree Mill is 12 noon.