THREE Borders clubs took a significant step towards claiming the South Cup by making the semi-finals of the competition.

Tweeddale Rovers, Hawick Waverley and Hawick United all made it through to the last four, alongside Carluke Hearts.

Tweeddale’s hopes of winning the South Cup for the first time in 35 years are still on track thanks to a Mikey Robertson double in their fine 3-1 win over former Border Amateur League side Pencaitland.

Robbie McNaughton scored the third for Rovers against the East Lothian side.

Tweeddale will face Hawick United after the Teries also beat East Lothian opposition by the same scoreline.

Kevin Strathdee scored two and Sean Clarke one as Hawick knocked out Ormiston United.

A Hawick Utd spokesman said: “It was an excellent performance and keeps alive our dream of winning the trophy for the first time since 1971/72.”

Taylor Hope’s double helped defending South Cup champions Hawick Waverley to see off Jed Legion 4-1 at Wilton Lodge Park. Dean McColm and Ryan Clapperton scored the other Waverley goals, with the club facing Carluke after the Lanarkshire team beat Machan United after extra time.

Stow kept alive their Division A survival hopes after an emphatic 6-0 victory over Gordon.

Hat-tricks from James Runciman and Jordan Steele pulled Stow level with Jed Legion, with the Villagers having played two more games.

And Chirnside’s impressive run continued with a 5-3 win over Greenlaw, as Conor Lough scored two.

In the Walls Cup, Langlee got their revenge on Newtown with a 4-2 win as Liam Wallace got on the scoresheet, while Coldstream and Tweedmouth Amateurs joined them in the semi-finals.

In the Sanderson Cup quarter finals, Melrose ended Gala Fairydean Rovers’ season with a 6-4 win at Netherdale.

Martin Gibson scored all four goals for Gala but still ended up on the losing side.

A penalty in the last minute of extra time by Andrew Common saw Ancrum knock out Tweedmouth Harrow, and veteran Craig Lowrie scored two as Selkirk Victoria squeezed past Tweeddale Rovers Colts 4-3.