Musselburgh 15

Selkirk 34

David Morrison

at Stoneyhill

SELKIRK have put themselves in pole position in the race for Premiership rugby next season.

Following Friday night's announcement by the SRU of the top six going up, both camps at Stoneyhill knew the importance of the game ahead.

The home team began brightly enough with Selkirk's defence impressing during the opening exchanges.

But it was free-running and enterprise from the Souters backs which really caught the eye.

Rory Banks slotted the visitors into an eighth minute lead with a penalty.

The home team, though, responded with James Ferguson going over for a try in the far corner.

The try gave Selkirk the jolt they were needing and finally the pressure was turned into points.

James Bett was pushed over approaching the half hour for a try.

The Banks conversion gave Selkirk a 10-5 advantage.

Against the run of play Musselburgh closed the deficit with a Danny Owenson penalty.

But there was still time for Selkirk to break loose once again and the pressure led to Banks being gifted two penalties before half time.

The large support from Philiphaugh must have been fairly pleased with with the first half performance - and pretty confident of securing the required victory.

But they were given a bit of a shock at the start of the second half as Musselburgh came storming out the blocks.

Owenson slotted a penalty to close the gap.

And Martin Cimprich went over for a try in the 46th minute after some impressive build up play, which was converted from out wide by Owenson.

At 15-16 it was Musselburgh who appeared to be in the ascendency.

But back came Selkirk and following some fine handling David Cassidy raced in for a 50th minute try.

Selkirk continued to assert themselves with confident handling and good line breaks.

The match was won in the 66th minute as Callum McEwan burst clear with the ball eventually being fed out to Henry Bithray for the try.

Although Banks missed the conversion, he made amends five minutes later with a penalty to make it 29-15.

And in the final few minutes Darren Clapperton sprinted beyond the defence for the bonus point try.