Ancrum 2

Selkirk Victoria 1

David Knox

at Elliot Park

ANCRUM dedicated their Sanderson Cup victory to former manager and stalwart John Smith.

The village club, as well as the wider Borders football community, was shocked earlier this season by John’s sudden death.

Following captain Andrew Common collecting the cup on Saturday, Ancrum manager Grant Davidson paid tribute to his predecessor.

He said: “If it wasn’t for John the club wouldn’t be here.

“He kept things going and managed to bring in a lot of young boys – a lot of them are still here today and have helped us win the cup.

“We spoke before kick off that this one was for John and I’m delighted we delivered it for him.”

Having already gained promotion, Ancrum went into the Division C showdown as favourites against the improving Selkirk Victoria team.

And a stunning strike from Euan Thomson midway through the first half gave them a narrow lead.

Selkirk had a great opportunity to respond almost immediately but Ross Hope shot tamely at Kerr Brown after working well to create space on the edge of the area.

Ancrum’s high pressing forced Derek Whitehead’s team into mistakes and they came close to doubling their lead when Cameron Fisher robbed Morgan Young to flash a shot across the face of goal.

Kieran Wilkinson thought he’d levelled for Victoria as half time approached after steering Hope’s through-ball beyond Brown, only to be flagged for off side.

It was a flag at the other end which denied Ewan Gray doubling Ancrum's advantage just before the break after he steered a shot in off the post.

And just three minutes into the second half Ancrum striker Stephen Davidson was denied making it 2-0 by a last-gasp challenge from Ryan Pritchard in front of goal.

Selkirk striker Darren Munro forced a terrific save from the foot of Brown approaching the hour.

But he finally beat the Ancrum keeper just a few minutes later as he won the aerial battle to nudge Scott Learmond’s lob into the net.

The village team were back in front within five minutes as Wilkinson tripped Stephen Davidson inside the area.

And Stuart Spence tucked the 68th minute penalty beyond the reach of Greg Fenton.

The Victoria should have levelled again when Brown blocked at the feet of Corey Molloy but Munro fired the rebound wide from 15 yards out.

With time running out Selkirk threw players forward.

And they had a late call for a penalty after the Ancrum keeper clattered into Pritchard after he’d won a header inside the area but referee Damian Main waved away the appeals.

Victoria manager Whitehead said: “I thought that was a stonewall penalty at the end – even the linesman told us it was definitely a penalty.

“Over the 90 minutes though I don’t think we played nearly as well as we can.

"There was little between the sides and congratulations to Ancrum for taking their chances.”

Ancrum. K Brown, C Fisher, S Spence, A Reilly, A Common, C Richardson (D Jeffrey 75), E Thomson (K Chapman 87), C Brown, S Davidson, J Nuttall & E Gray.

Selkirk Victoria. G Fenton, K Wilkinson, B Gillie, G Brownlee, R Pritchard, C Lowrie, L Stephen, R Hope (I Gardiner 62), D Munro, S Learmond & M Young (c Moloy 62).