Selkirk 50

Glasgow Hawks 15

Atholl Innes

at Philiphaugh

FEW can remember Selkirk scoring 50 points in the past at Philiphaugh, if they ever did, but the Souters reached that milestone on Saturday to sit top of the Premiership after one game.

However, they will not be getting carried away following an eight-try success that augurs well for the club in the new all-amateur championship.

Selkirk’s attacking style and defensive qualities were key as new coach Scott Wight helped to steer them to the best possible start to the season.

But he acknowledged that there is a lot to work on, not least the discipline.

The hosts had three players yellow-carded, Jack Houston, Grant Forrest and Scott McClymont, and at one time were down to 13 men.

“That was a real concern, but I thought that our attacking flow was very good. We want to get our own things right and we just worry about our own performances,” Wight said.

“We have worked hard through pre-season, but it is only one game in.

"It was a great start and we have good competition for places with a few boys out injured.”

Hawks, who were missing a few senior guys, expressed disappointment.

“We need a good result to build our confidence,” coach Andy Hill said.

Selkirk played with aggression and power to the final whistle and had the bonus point secured by half-time

Luke Pettie was driven over for the opening try in seven minutes and their defence stood firm to withstand Hawks pressure, but after Frazer Anderson added a second try from Ross Nixon’s pass, they took control of the game.

Further tries, which gave Selkirk the bonus point, came from Luca Berte and James Bett from Callum Anderson’s chip into space, before Craig Shields touched down and Liam Brims converted with Jack Houston in the sin-bin to cut the deficit to 7-24 at the break.

Pettie’s second try ended Hawks’ hopes of a revival and further scores came from Ryan Cottrell, Aaron McColm, who also kicked five conversions, and Jacob Henry.

There was a consolation try for Hawks by Paul Cairncross and a Brims penalty – and Selkirk had Forrest and McClymont sent to the sin-bin, but Wight knows that much tougher games lie ahead.

Selkirk: Aaron McColm; L. Berte, J. Welsh, R. Nixon, F. Anderson; C. Anderson, L. Morelle; L Pettie, J. Bett, B. Riddell, J. Houston, P. Forrest, R. Cook, S. McClymont, E. Macdougall. Replacements: G. Forrest, Andrew McColm, H. Borthwick, J. Henry, R. Cottrell.