Peebles 32

Stewart’s/Melville 29

Allan Beveridge

at The Gytes

THERE wasn't much in the way of fingernails left after Saturday's final five minutes at The Gytes.

In a thrilling finale to an exciting match, Murray Brown managed to touch down and Greg Raeburn convert to give Peebles a last-gasp lead.

But, with an indicated minute or two of injury time still to play, the three point advantage was a precarious one.

From the restart Stewart's Melville were awarded a penalty, and in range for a kick.

The nerves cranked up as they elected to ignore the opportunity to draw and went instead for the corner.

Having already scored two tries from a similar line-out position, the odds were in their favour.

Towering Jamie Sword, at six-foot-five, again took a clean catch.

But this time Peebles were prepared for the push and the ball was held up over the line.

And as the referee blew for full time, the Gytes crowd blew their own huge sigh of relief.

If Peebles are to push on and gain promotion this season, those final few seconds against Stewart's Melville will undoubtedly be a key factor.

Having lost 27-17 earlier in the season at Inverleith, Saturday's game was expected to be every bit as tough as it turned out.

But early tries from Kieran Brown and Scott Stoddart, along with two Raeburn conversions and a penalty, had helped Peebles into a 17-5 lead within 20 minutes of kick off.

The visitors' try had come from their reliable catch-and-drive with Willie Malcolm touching down.

With half time approaching another penalty was kicked to touch, leading to Stewart Melville's second try from another rolling maul.

And in the 40th minute Sean Murchie raced down the wing to scored the city side's third try.

Bowen's two conversion's gave the visitors a 19-17 lead at the break.

It looked as though the game was slipping away when left winger Adam Greig went in for their bonus-point try.

Again Bowen was on target to give his team a nine point advantage.

But some creativity from the Peebles backs soon had them back in the game.

Stoddart scored his second try following a tremendous Raeburn side-step and excellent hands by Donald Anderson.

The teams swapped penalties as the game entered the final five minutes with Peebles trailing 29-25.

The home team threw everything they had at the Stewart's Melville defence as the clock ticked down, before a maul crept its way over the line and Brown touched down.

This was a complete squad effort for a victory that was wildly celebrated by supporters.

And it will take another huge effort tomorrow as they travel to face Lasswade in the cup quarter final this weekend.

Kick off is at 3pm and it would be it would be great to see some Peebles supporters make the trip.