Watsonians 19

Gala 20

Bob Sneddon

at Myreside

GALA weathered the storm on Saturday to fight back and claim the victory.

A howling gale and driving rain were in the faces of the Maroons throughout the first half.

Despite the conditions they did score first.

In the fourth minute fly half Dean Keddie made a clever break deep into Watsonians territory before popping the ball up to Rex Jeffrey to run in for the score.

Keddie somehow managed to land the conversion against the wind.

But it wasn't long until the home team began to use the elements to their advantage.

During a Gala attack the forwards lost the ball, allowing Watsonians to break from their own 22 metre and when finally tackled Watsonians managed to pass to the support player who scored a fine opportunist try. This was converted to even the scores.

With weather assisted kicking Watsonians started to gain the upper hand and after 14 minutes, following good forwards pressure on the Gala line, they pushed over near the corner to touch down.

The game continued with Gala defending well and trying to maintain the narrow gap, before the teams changed ends.

Unfortunately this was not to be with a free kick being awarded against Gala for early engagement in the scrum only 5 metres from their own line.

Watsonians took advantage to score a push over try, which was converted.

With the conditions showing no signs of improving it was greed to have a five-minute interval and keep the players on the park.

But with the wind behind them, Gala started to eat into the lead almost straight away.

After only four minutes the Maroons were awarded a penalty, which Keddie successfully converted.

Ten minutes later with a further penalty to Gala in the centre of the pitch, Keddie again narrowed the gap further.

At 19-13 Gala knew a score was needed in the final quarter hour.

And with 12 minutes remaining a rolling maul edged towards the line before Jack Easson managed to pick up and charge forward to touch down.

But the try was just five metres from the touchline.

Ross Cooke was given the responsibility for the conversion attempt.

And he struck the ball well to edge Gala back in front.

Both camps were given the option to abandon the game in the 72nd minute, but both captains agreed to see out the match.

In the end Gala held on for the victory.

It's back to Netherdale this Saturday with a home fixture against Highland kicking off at 3pm.