Musselburgh 12

Selkirk 12

Atholl Innes

at Stoneyhill

SELKIRK weathered Storm Dennis on Saturday at Stoneyhill to sweep to two points in their challenge for a top four place.

Saturday's Premiership clash was a game which tested the fitness and staying power of both sides.

The Souters trailed 12-0 at half-time as Musselburgh made most of the gale in the first half.

But Selkirk responded after the break and in the end, a draw was a fair result.

Selkirk played against the wind in the first half and were on the back foot for most of the 40 minutes.

Captain Ewan MacDougall said: "The conditions were horrendous and we had to dig deep to share the points."

The Souters had their share of good and bad luck, and suffered the loss of forward Sean Rankine, who was yellow-carded for the last 10 minutes following a high tackle.

Fortunately, Danny Owensen’s penalty struck a post.

And with the last kick of the game, Josh Welsh’s penalty was short, not surprisingly in the heavy, wet conditions.

It was a credit to the players, officials and spectators that they turned out in appalling conditions in a match which was a testament to the resolve of everyone.

Musselburgh coach Graeme Paterson felt that the two points opened the safety door for his club while, with Aberdeen losing to Currie Chieftains, Selkirk moved into fourth.

Luke Hutson scored the opening try from Freddie Roddick’s break, and Owensen converted.

The relentless pressure paid off as Paddy Brown scored a second for a 12-0 lead and Selkirk did well to hold their lines until the interval.

The second half was a different story. Bruce Riddell bulldozed his way over for a try, Aaron McColm converted, and then Callum McNeill scampered down the left flank to score to level.

The two penalty chances brought the referee’s final whistle and the players ran off for a welcome shower.

Selkirk: H. Bithray; F. Anderson, R. Cottrell, R. Nixon, C. McNeill; A. McColm, L. Merolle; L. Pettie, J. Bett, B. Riddell, S. Rankine, P. Forrest, A. Mackay, S. McClymont & E. MacDougall. Replacements: J. Mackay, G. Robertson, J. Welsh, C. Anderson & L. Berte.