GALA Fairydean Rovers suffered a 4-1 home defeat to second top Cumbernauld Colts at Netherdale yesterday.

The visitors deserved to leave with the points but the margin of victory flattered them.

Gala took the lead in the sixth minute when the Colts defence twice failed to clear a Quinn Mitchell cross and Nicky Reid’s shot deflected into the air and Kyle Semple was on hand to head the ball into the net for his third goal in two games.

READ MORE: Beautiful Japanese garden in Borders up for award

But Cumbernauld showed why they are second and responded with an equaliser from Billy Mortimer after a long ball was misjudged by Ciaran Green.

The home fans then claimed for a penalty after Jamie Semple was barged over inside the area as he tried to get on the end of a Danny Galbraith cross.

But the visitors took the lead in the minute when some neat one touch footwork inside the Gala penalty area culminated with a well take goal from Craig Holmes to give his side the lead.

Then just before the break Green was adjudged to have pushed Mortimer while defending a cross and the referee pointed to the spot.

READ MORE: The latest news on how Storm Babet is affecting the Borders

He was booked for the foul and defensive partner Callum Ferguson joined him in the book for comments made to the referee.

Holmes drilled the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the net sending Jay Cantley the wrong way.

Cumbernauld almost made it four shortly after the restart but a tremendous block by Ferguson maintained the two goal, difference.

Liam Watt then beat three defenders and crossed the ball across the face of the goal and just evaded Jamie Semple.

Jamie Semple then struck the inside of the post with a header form a Galbraith cross then Reid had the ball in the net but Kyle Semple was adjudged to have been offside in the build up.

Reid then dispossessed a Cumbernauld defender and found Jamie Semple but the striker was closed down quickly. He managed to find Galbraith but his effort from the edge of the area was blocked.

Zander Murray and Ben Riley replaced Kyle Semple and Allan Smith as Gala fought to get back in the game.

But with 10-minutes remaining the Colts secured the victory against the run of play.

Kristian Webster’s switch of play was brought down by Connor McLaren who crossed the ball for his brother Reg to nod home from 6 yards.

Gala continued to fight and Jamie Semple tested the Colts keeper and Murray went close with a header before the full time whistle blew.

Gala are in Scottish Cup duty next weekend and the club are running a supporters bus to Pollok.