Stirling University 0

Selkirk 2

David Knox at Falkirk Stadium

SELKIRK reached the dizzy heights of fourth in the Lowland League following Tuesday evening's win over Stirling University.

Considering Ian Fergus' team were hanging on by their fingernails for league survival last season, the Yarrow Park club can rightly be proud of the rapid transformation under the new manager.

All of the qualities that have made the team successful this season were on show in the Falkirk Stadium - creative midfielders, battling defenders, energetic strikers and a goalkeeper who refuses to be beaten.

The effort and the ability wasn't lost on assistant manager David Bingham at the final whistle. He said: "I don't think many teams will come here and win in the manner we did tonight.

"Stirling University are a very good team and they showed us a few times tonight how dangerous they can be, but we stuck to the task, were brave and through hard-work and some excellent play managed to get the win.

"Our players were tired after Saturday's 90 minutes on a really soft park, yet three days later they came here and run themselves into the ground.

"Stirling were good tonight but we were better and I'm delighted with the points."

The Students opened brightly with wide players Ross Kellock and David O'Brien causing problems for the visiting fullbacks.

Several tempting crosses were whipped into Gregor Amos's area inside the opening quarter hour.

Andrew Fleming and Ricky Miller, thankfully for the Selkirk supporters, were in top form as they cleared the threat each time.

But on 21 minutes a long ball over the top was misjudged by the normally reliable duo, and it took a finger-tip save from Amos to push Lewis Bonar's shot onto the post.

Amos also saved well to deny Daniel Ashe approaching the half hour.

But Selkirk also looked a handful going forward with Sean Muhsin and Sean McKirdy finding space and their passes.

A Ciaren Chalmers looping headed drifted round the wrong side of the post on 23 minutes.

And just after the half hour a McKirdy cross agonisingly bounced away from Phil Addison just a few yards out from goal.

David Banjo also rifled a low shot a foot wide of Kevin Walker's post in the closing stages of the half.

While Uni had dominated the early exchanges of the first half it was Selkirk who were well on top at the start of the second.

Walker saved well from a Chalmers header on 49 minutes.

And three minutes later Addison's through ball was smashed straight at the keeper by Daryl Healy, only for the offside flag to go up as Addison tucked away the rebound.

Muhsin fired a foot wide as the visitors continued to press for the breakthrough.

And McKirdy went even closer after collecting a terrific pass from Addison.

The goal came in the 78th with Banjo heading a Muhsin corner into the bottom corner from 15 yards out.

Uni responded with an all-out assault on the Selkirk area - forcing three or four corners in the closing 10 minutes.

But in injury time a long clearance was flicked on by Healy for the impressive Calum Helm to race into the area and draw a foul from the home keeper.

Miller stepped up to make it 2-0 from the penalty spot.

Selkirk. G Amos, R Sclater, R Donaldson (L Turkington 68), A Fleming, R Miller, S Muhsin, D Healy, C Chalmers (J Hopkinson 82), P Addison (C Helm 78), D Banjo & S McKirdy.