EARLSTON Rhymers gave defending South Cup holders Danderhall a fright in the first round of this year’s competition.

Danderhall held a slender 2-1 lead until the last ten minutes when the Edinburgh team scored two more goals to put a gloss on the scoreline.

Joe Thomson scored Earlston’s goal and team-mate Shaun Quinn said: “We did really well to hold Danderhall for so long. They are a quality team and could win the South Cup again.”

Goals by Steven McHoul and William Smillie were not enough to keep Greenlaw in the cup as they lost 3-2 to Springhill.

Newtown will host Shotts Thistle in round two after comfortably beating Kelso Amateurs 3-0 with Joe Tait, Russell Hunter and Stephen Swanston finding the net.

Langlee Amateurs got over their Collie Cup penalty shootout loss to Gala Fairydean Rovers in midweek with a fine 4-1 win over Division A side Gordon.

Des Sutherland scored two, while Bob Noble and Conrad Campbell ensured the Division C team provided a South Cup shock.

But there was a heavy loss for Hawick Legion at Tranent Amateurs, as the Teries went down 9-1.

In Division A, Jason Inglis scored a 92nd minute equaliser for leaders Hawick Waverley to deny struggling Coldstream Amateurs a shock win.

Hawick United set themselves up perfectly for the Border Cup final against Waverley this Friday night with a 2-0 win over Jed Legion. Kevin Strathdee and Sam Kelly scored to lift United into third.

And a Grant Wilson hat-trick set up a Tweeddale Rovers win at Stow.

Goals from veterans Derek Watson and Craig Lowrie were not enough to save Gala Hotspur from defeat as Tweedmouth Amateurs won 3-2 to go top of Division B.

There were also wins for Langholm, St Boswells and Leithen Rovers in Division B.

Josh Dancaster grabbed a hat-trick as Ancrum leapfrogged Gala Fairydean Rovers with a 4-1 win in Division C, while Berwick Colts remain top after beating Melrose 3-0, with Ryan Ruddick scoring two.

Meanwhile, Tweeddale Rovers Colts and Selkirk Victoria won their first games in Division C.