Gala Fairydean Rovers Ams 2

Berwick Colts 3

IT was a cup final that it had it all.

Five goals, a hattrick hero, a penalty, a sending off and two teams that gave it their all.

But after an end-to-end 90 minutes of football it was Berwick who claimed the silverware in Kelso, thanks to goals from Martin Cornish.

Gala gaffer Mike Riddell was disappointed with the final result, but not with the character shown by his side.

He told the Border Telegraph: "It just didn't quite go for us in the end. The boys gave everything in the second half and were on top.

"It was like a forcefield around their goal, but the ball just wouldn't go in.

"It's disappointing, but I couldn't have asked for any more from the players.

"This is a learning curve for a very young team. There's a lot of teenagers in that side and they have conducted themselves fantastically this season. They can't give me any more in training and they can't give me anymore on a Saturday.

"With a wee bit of luck, we could have won that game today."

Berwick opened the scoring within two minutes when danger-man Rhys Bloomfield picked out an unmarked Cornish from corner.

And they could have been 2-0 up just two minutes later, but Michael Fenton's legs denied Bloomfield.

The muddy Woodside Park pitch made it difficult for both teams.

But the conditions didn't affect Jack Temple's strike from the edge of the box on 11 minutes, which arrowed into the bottom corner.

The Fairydean Rovers, who were boosted by first team manager Steven Noble, and Lowland League regulars Lewis Swaney and Darren Smith; did create a couple of chances soon after through Andrew Crawford and Jason McIntosh, but they couldn't grab a second goal.

And they were made to pay moments before the interval when the referee awarded the Colts a questionable corner.

Again Bloomfield stepped up and picked out Cornish at the back post, who nodded in.

Gala also felt the should have had a penalty for handball seconds later, but the protests were waved away by the officials.

Thirteen minutes into the second half Cornish made the job a little tougher for Gala when he grabbed his hattrick – heading in a Richard Davison free kick.

But if anything that made Gala more determined.

And they were awarded a penalty when Andrew Callow was brought down in the box.

Swaney stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way.

In a strange turn of events, Davison was then sent off for the English side for time-wasting at the restart. It was his second yellow card, after picking up a caution for a high boot during the opening 45.

Fenton was called into action again for Gala, but he denied Jimmy Kantas from making in 4-2.

That was Berwick's last real chance of the game as Riddell's side piled on the pressure.

Welsh Curran had his effort palmed away, while minutes later, the Fairydean Rovers struck the crossbar twice as Swaney bombed forward.

Substitute Liam Howel also came close, but his shot was pawed past the post by Ross Gillie.

And the game also could have been taken to extra time during the dying seconds, when McIntosh knocked on to Swaney, but he headed over the bar.

Gala Fairydean Rovers: M Fenton, C Riddell, K Crawford, S Noble, L Swaney, W Curran, D Smith, A Callow, A Crawford, J Temple, J McIntosh