Biggar 30

Peebles 33

By Al Stewart

at Hartree Mill

A RUGBY match lasts for 80 minutes plus stoppage time and it was deep into these added minutes that Peebles scored their fifth try to take the lead for the first time and deny Biggar.

That Peebles were beaten the previous week by Kirkcaldy in what amounted to very similar circumstances was not lost on the visiting support.

Early exchanges in this thrilling derby were fairly even with Biggar pinning Peebles back with a variety of kicks.

Following a prolonged period of pressure in the Peebles 22 with a total of 13 phases of play Andrew Orr dived over for the opening try.

Carne Green added the conversion.

A neat re-start from Greg Raeburn – this a feature of this contest – gave Peebles possession and while the crowd had had to wait 13 minutes for the first score, the second came just two minutes later.

Raeburn popped a neat ball to Murray Brown who split the Biggar defence before feeding Ruaridh Clinch to coast over for a try.

Raeburn levelled the scores with the conversion.

A neat break by hooker Ryan Stewart might have come to more save for a timely tackle by Biggar skipper Ewan Sanderson.

Biggar hit with another series of tilts at the line through Robbie Lavery, Andrew Orr, Greene and Jardine.

As the ball was eventually moved left Bradford crashed over from short range.

Green took the score to 14-7 with the extras.

Replacement scrum half Ruairdh Britton, who had replaced the injured Donald Anderson, orchestrated another Peebles response with a quick tap penalty.

His pass to Brown split the retreating defence and he crossed for a try which Raeburn converted to level the scores once again.

With 10 minutes of the half remaining Biggar regained the lead with a Green penalty.

The advantage was extended when good handling between Green, Gregor Stewart and Notman fed Robbie Lavery.

The centre made ground before freeing winger Bradford to round off the move with his second try.

Green converted to open up the gap to 24-14.

Peebles capitalised on some weak defence before the break to score again.

Raeburn's missed conversion left the half time score at 24-19.

Green stretched the home advantage with two quickfire penalties.

And worse was to follow for Peebles as Roddy Guiney was yellow carded for a late challenge.

Crucially Biggar were unable to increase their lead while Peebles were a man down, with the visitors doing much to frustrate Biggar.

As the minutes ticked by it looked as though there might not be any further scoring.

But with ten minutes remaining things began to change as Peebles seemed to up the tempo.

A Biggar error allowed Peebles an attacking opportunity which they took with Stoddart scoring his second try.

Raeburn's conversion narrowed the gap to 30-26.

Biggar's Jamie Orr was shown yellow for a tip tackle as the clocked approached 80 minutes.

Peebles used the full period of added time to snatch the match with Callum Anderson plunging over from close range after a series of penalties in and around the Biggar 22.

Raeburn's conversion was immaterial but still successful as referee George Pounder brought proceedings to a close.

While Peebles rightly celebrated, frustration and anger were the prevalent emotions in the Biggar camp.