Melrose 66

Marr 10

Atholl Innes at The Greenyards

IF Carlsberg did birthday celebrations...

No sooner had former President Jack Dun cut the 140th anniversary cake than his Melrose team ran in ten tries to continue their dominance in the BT Premiership.

Marr, the newcomers in the top league in Scotland, were swamped in the avalanche of scores which gave Melrose their seventh successive bonus-point victory in the championship.

It was no huge ‘welcome home’ for Marr coach Craig Redpath, who used to pull on the Melrose jersey.

Marr, with Greg Peterson and James Malcolm in the pack, threatened briefly to show off their progression until Melrose switched into top gear.

And head coach Rob Chrystie was able to make maximum use of a hugely strong pool of players as they entertained the home crowd.

“The boys who came in did really well for Marr are not a bad side, but we nullified players like Peterson very well,” he said.

“As well as scoring tries, we defended very well, but when you keep the ball well, you are asking a lot of them for it is hard work. When we turned the ball over, we were pretty accurate in what we did.”

Melrose punished their opponents with a dynamic display of controlled, running rugby, scoring 33 points in each half, to ensure that Redpath made a disappointing return to his old ground.

“Melrose are very clinical, have pace to burn and are very confident,” he said.

“We did a lot of good things, but it is only one game and I am very disappointed, and the scoreline reflects the gulf between the teams.

“But they are the best organised side by a mile. We need to take it on the chin and come back. I played here long enough and did it to everybody else!”

Marr also counted the cost in the first half when James Malcolm was sent to the sin-bin by the French exchange referee Vivien Pradarie allowing Melrose to cash in with 19 points.

Marr found it hard to handle the Melrose pace after they had taken the lead with a Craig Kolarik penalty.

The hosts stung back with tries from Ruairdh Knott, Jason Baggott, Gavin Wood, Sam Pecqueur and Wood again in the first half.

Nyle Godsmark added a double after the interval and other scores came from Baggott, Pecqueur and a penalty try.

Craig Jackson converted five and Baggott two.

Malcolm scored a late consolation try for Marr and Kolarik converted.

Melrose: F. Thomson; G. Woods, N. Godsmark, C. Jackson, S. Pecqueur; J. Baggott, B. Colvine; G. Shiells, R. Anderson, N. Beavon, J. Head, A. Runciman, I. Moody, R. Knott, A. Miller. Replacements: R. Ferguson, R. McLeod, N. Irvine-Hess, M. McAndrew, B. Chalmers.