Peebles 30

GHK 21

BLUSTERY conditions played their part on Saturday.

But the gusts couldn't prevent Peebles taking another scalp as their change of fortunes continues.

Playing into the wind throughout the first half, it was expected to be a difficult 40 minutes for the Gytes men.

But, remarkably, they managed to gain a 16 point advantage before the break.

Greg Raeburn slotted two early penalties to give the Pees a six point lead.

The continued pressure from the Peebles pack and the free-running backs finding gaps in the GHK defence led to further points.

Scott Stoddart went over for the first try just after the 10 minute mark.

And the Gytes support were still celebrating when Willy Brown scored a second try just three minutes later.

Raeburn's conversion gave Peebles an 18-0 lead with only quarter of an hour gone.

But the dominant start was soon forgotten as approaching the half hour as Hugh Park broke through the Pees line to allow Danny Campbell to go in for the first of his tries.

The conversion reduced the deficit to 11 points and suddenly it was game on again.

Peebles responded well with a series of impressive drives and offloads to make valuable metres.

And it wasn't long until Callum Anderson went in for the third home try.

The wind again was a factor as Raeburn failed to add the two points.

But at 23-07 in front against the wind, the Gytes support was more than satisfied.

Following the interval, and with the gales at their backs, Peebles enjoyed the perfect start to the second half.

A delightful chip over the top allowed Stoddart to win the race and touch down.

Raeburn stretched the lead to 23 points.

GHK did well to quell the Peebles backs as the half wore on.

And the visitors began to turn the tide in the closing stages as Campbell yet again broke through a tackle and burst clear to score.

He added the conversion to make the score 30-14.

Just three minutes later Campbell intercepted a loose pass and thundered down the pitch to close the gap further.

Another successful kick brought GHK to within nine points with just over ten minutes to go.

Peebles played a territorial game in the final minutes to make sure there was no way back for the visitors.

Peebles travel to Whitecraigs tomorrow, where a victory could take them into the top six for the first time this season.

Peebles. C Blyth, J King, S Stoddart, D Anderson, C Anderson, G Raeburn, M Johnstone, W Napier, R Stewart, J Menzies, W Brown, R Brown, A Muir, J Ellison & R Guiney. Reps. W Aitken, D Clay & D Anderson.