Whitecraigs 29

Peebles 33

Allan Beveridge at West Lodge

PEEBLES earned a bonus point victory on Saturday, but they were made to work hard for it by a team who aren't playing far better than their league position would suggest.

The Gytes men were 21 points to 10 up at the interval.

And it looked as though they would go on and win handsomely.

But Whitecraigs pushed their visitors right to the final whistle during a tense second half.

The home team should have scored in the first minute.

With ball in hand they spurned an overlap and opted to kick the ball into the Peebles in-goal area where Conor Blyth touched down for the drop out.

Peebles responded immediately with pressure on the home line but the ball was lost in the drive.

With 10 minutes on the clock Peebles did finally score.

Following successive scrum penalties on the five metre line Peebles were awarded a penalty try.

From the restart Whitecraigs went the attack with some of their big runners taking the ball forward.

About 10 metres from the Peebles line it appeared that Peebles had been awarded a scrum, but Whitecraigs took the put in and they took full advantage with left winger Mahindru completing a good move to touch down in the corner.

The conversion was wide leaving Peebles 7-5 ahead.

Midway through the first half Murray Johnston fed to Greg Raeburn from the scrum, allowing the stand-off to step inside the home team defence and race clear before passing back to Johnston to score between the posts.

Raeburn converted for 14-5.

Peebles went further ahead after Johnston collected a pass from Scott Stoddart to run in and score.

Raeburn extended the lead to 16 points.

Whitecraigs managed to respond before time with a prolonged period of pressure which led to Adair going over in the corner.

Andy Muir was yellow carded in the build up, reducing Peebles to 14 players for the start of the second half.

Whitecraigs took full advantage with two forwards afer the restart - one being converted to take the home team 24-21 in front.

Stoddart finished off a good backs move and touched down for the bonus point try before the hour.

Raeburn's conversion gave Peebles a 28-24 advantage.

Jamie Menzies added a further try for the visitors, giving them a nine point cushion.

But Whitecraigs winger Adair managed to go over again with eight minutes still on the clock.

It was a nervous last few minutes as Peebles saw out the game.

This was not the best Peebles have played this year with the heavy underfoot conditions not helping.

Peebles first team have no game this weekend as Aberdeenshire have pulled out of the league.

The next first XV game will be a cup game against Haddington at The Gytes next Friday evening (November, 17) with a 7.30pm kick off.

Tonight (Friday) Peebles second string are in league action under the floodlights at Penicuik where the kick off is 7.30pm