Selkirk 0-0 Hibernian XI
(Selkirk win the Bobby Johnstone cup 4-3 on penalties)

By Callum Hodgson
at Yarrow Park

A PACKED Yarrow Park certainly got their money’s worth on Sunday as Selkirk lifted the Bobby Johnstone memorial trophy after a penalty shootout.

Hibernian fielded some well-known names including Paul Hanlon and Danny Handling, but that wasn’t enough to take home the silverware.

Neither side could break the deadlock in 90 minutes, most of which was played in the pouring rain. And it was the Souters who held their nerve to win the game 4-3 on penalties, thanks to goals from Ricky Millar, Gary Nicholson, Sean Muhsin and Ross King.

A delighted boss Ian Fergus told us: “The players did really well today. It was a big challenge against a good side.

“Hibs really knocked the ball about well, but we stuck to our game plan and I think we’re a kind of different Selkirk now to last season. It was great to have that performance today.

“Playing full-time teams is always a massive challenge and last week was the same against Partick Thistle. But we are a fit part-time team now and we’ve had a really good pre-season. David Bingham worked really hard with the players as well and it has helped a lot.

“I thought the new players were excellent today. If you look at all the new guys they have done really well. We had Ciaren Chalmers and Daryl Healy missing today along with Unpha Koroma so they were a miss and we still did well in the game, so I’m more than happy with the way things are going.

“The focus has always been on Saturday (the Lowland League). I took friendlies that I thought we could lose, because I knew they would be massive tests. The game today and the game against Partick in particular are a tremendous testament to the players.”

Both sides played with intent from the first whistle and battled hard to win the match, which was set up to celebrate local legend Johnstone.

Murray Christie forced a good save after he got on the end of a long ball from keeper Gregor Amos.

The Hibees responded just two minutes later though when former Gala Fairydean Rovers loanee Kevin Waugh saw his header gathered by the Selkirk stopper.

But it was current Fairydean Rovers loanee Jamie Gullan who caused the most problems.

He turned on the edge of the box and smashed his effort off the crossbar.

But Fergus’ team matched Hibs all afternoon.

Substitute Gary Nicholson saw his flick on saved by Polish goalkeeper Kevin Dabrowski who was brought on at half time.

The home side’s goalkeeper was then called into action soon after, but he got the better of Ruari Paton and Adam Watson.

The Edinburgh side also had a good chance to break the deadlock when Callum Donaldson tried to pick out Gullan in the penalty area, but he couldn’t connect.

Selkirk also came close when Ryan Sclater whipped in a free kick, but no one could divert it into the net, taking the game to penalties.

Ricky Millar was first up and he converted, sending the keeper the wrong way. Hibs’ Handling equalised with an almost identical spot kick.

Next up was Sclater but he saw his strike down the left-hand side saved.

Ben Stirling was next up and he sent the keeper the wrong way to make the game 2-1 to Hibs.

It was then Gary Nicholson’s turn, who made no mistake, but that was again cancelled out by Waugh’s strike.

It was then new boy Sean Muhsin’s turn, who converted a cheeky Panenka style penalty.

Paton was up next but his effort was saved down at the right-hand post, making the game 3-3.

Ross King then stepped up and buried his shot, despite the keeper guessing the right way.

All the pressure was on Josh Campbell, but he hit the post, meaning Selkirk lifted the cup, which was presented by Johnstone’s daughter Nicola.

Selkirk: G Amos, R Sclater, R Donaldson, A Fleming, D Greig (R Millar 73), M Christie (L Turkington 63), S Muhsin, J Hopkinson (G Nicholson 58), P Addison, D Banjo (R King 82), S McKirdy.